$50 - CAI Members
$100 - All Others
Condo Inc. I -
The Business of Running Your Community
Do you serve on the board of your association? Are you considering serving? Whether you are a seasoned board member, a recently elected board member or unit owner seeking to understand more about how an association runs, this course is for you!
Your community is your home and it is probably your biggest investment. But did you also know it is a business? The role of a community board is to protect and increase property value in an association. In addition, their role is to preserve the quality of life in accordance with state & federal laws and association documents. This is accomplished by operating the association, maintaining the common
property, and enforcing the governing documents.
Becoming a good board member is a process; but, you can minimize the errors and the time it takes you to get up to speed by attending this seminar. We have gathered together a group of industry professionals: legal, insurance, maintenance, financial and capital planning to share their expertise. In addition, this course provides the opportunity to interact with fellow board members and share your challenges and your triumphs!
Legal – Understanding State Laws and Association Governing Documents
· CIOA, declaration, by-laws and rules
· Rules enforcement; due process
· Collection policies
· Meeting notices; voting by proxy and ballot
· Executive sessions and unanimous consent
· Maintenance standards – responsibility for damage
· Updating documents; CIOA update
· Third party agreements
· Association records
Insurance – Protecting Your Association
· Coverage Description/Explanation
· Risk Management/Underwriting
· HO-6 Policy
· Market Trend
Management – Getting the Job Done
· Managing contracts
· Bid process - RFPs & Specs
· Professionally managed vs. self-managed
Financials - Understanding Your Financial Matters
· Financial Reports
Long-term – Developing and Implementing a Plan
· Reserve analysis
· Long-term planning
Questions & Answers
· During the presentation, questions to clarify a topic are welcome.
· At the end of each presentation, there will be a Q & A for more in-depth questions.
· Most presenters will be available following the Q & A. This is your opportunity to ask questions regarding your specific association.
· Light breakfast and lunch will be served.
Formally known as the ABC’s a Basic Course….
We are excited to unveil our NEW and IMPROVED course, recommended all associations. The new name, Condo Inc. I, The Business of Running Your Association, reflects the responsibility your association has in maintaining community and the respect it deserves at a business entity. We have added more time for the legal segment and more time for questions! For those who have attended an ABC's program and would like more in-depth instruction, we recommend
Condo Inc. II, Advanced Business Practices for Your Association.
This course meets the requirements set forth in Connecticut Public Act 06-23.
Thank you in advance for your support!
Admission to all CAI-CT events requires advance registration either by mail, online, or in person. Individuals will not be admitted to an event without payment. Failure to attend an event does not constitute a cancellation of event registration and you will be charged for registering.
Courses are copyrighted by CAI and may not be audiotaped, videotaped or reproduced in any way for personal use or for public distribution or viewing without prior written permission.